0 products available in this category
SS100 In 1935 the SS100 was introduced. Although the new SS100s body and chassis looked virtually identical to the S.S.90, the suspension, brakes, and steering were shared with the new saloon range. The rear ends of the front leaf springs ran in sliding trunnions rather than being shackled and the Girling rod brakes were a great improvement on the previous Bendix cables. A Burman Douglas steering box replaced the earlier Marles Weller box.
The principal difference between the SS100 and the 90 was the 2663 cc Weslake modified Standard engine. Twin SU carburettors replaced the RAG units and helped the engine achieve 104 bhp at 4600 rpm. Car and driver together totalled 2800 lb and the SS100 was able to accelerate to 50 mph in 8.8 seconds, and to 60 mph in 12 seconds, covering the standing quarter mile in just 18.6 seconds.
All the SS100s were open two seaters with the exception of the SS jaguar 100 Fixed Head Coup. Reminiscent of the Bugatti Atlantique of the period, it was unveiled at the 1938 Motor Show. At 595GBP it was the most expensive of Jaguars pre war cars and only one was manufactured before the outbreak of World War Two decreed an end to car production. War Production
Whilst S.S. Jaguars continued to be made well into 1940, much of the companys activity was by then centred around the production of materials of war, including three types of trailer (5 cwt., 10 cwt., and 6 ton) which were soon being produced for the War Department in large quantities among them the special purpose trailers for Wingates legendary expedition. Even before the war had started, S.S. had begun the manufacture of wing components for the Stirling bomber, and this work was followed by a contract for the complete repair and modification of Armstrong Whitworth Whitley bombers; and when these were taken out of service, S.S. switched to repair work on the Wellington. Components were also made for many other aircraft, including the Spitfire, Lancaster, Mosquito, and the Oxford. When hostilities were drawing to a close, the company undertook the construction of complete Gloster Meteor centre sections.
War time experimental work by S.S. included two technically interesting four wheeled alternatives to the motor cycle combination then used by airborn forces. These two lightweight prototypes (built in 1944) were very advanced in design, incorporating fully independent suspension and unit construction. They were shelved only because rapid development work enabled transport aircraft to carry heavier loads.